Outlook stuck updating inbox
See if there is a difference between problem machines and machines working properly.Outlook versions are the same, 14.0.7128.5000 (32-bit).
To do this, hold CTRL when clicking on the Outlook icon in the Notification Area and then select Connection Status…Per the article below I updated the Ethernet drivers on the the server to the most recent version and the MTU was automatically set to 1500.Not sure why only certain machines were affected but at this point I'm keeping my fingers crossed.This has now scared the brass about updating any further (for fear of making it worse/more widespread) and has put 2013 on hold.Unfortunately this isn't my issue since the affected users have no shared mailboxes.Thanks for the suggestions. like client patch level to me.
Check for a the version of Windows/Outlook and patch level on the affected client machines.
Aside from reporting the synching other than folders, you’ll often also see here how the synching for a specific folder is progressing in percentages.
We recently migrated from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2013.
I had this same thing happen, except we only went from 2010 SP1 to 2010 SP3 UR6.
About 10 people out of 1000 had this happen, however they were users that had rights to other mailboxes and had them mounted in Outlook.
The only difference I can think of is that the the affected machines all have Windows 7 64-bit rather than 32 bit (majority in our environment) as we have been slowly rolling that out, but there are some Windows 7 64-bit machines that have not exhibited this behavior.