Farmont wv no string xxxcam com
He was said to be as brave as any of his brothers, but less disposed to seek fame by killing.He was considered handsome, muscular, and very pious. Waddell, "Annals of Augusta County 1726-1871", page 126.
As early as 1754 Andrew and William Lewis were exploring the banks of Dunlap Creek near Sweet Springs.The other brothers were Thomas, Andrew and Charles Lewis.Andrew is noted for his exploits as an Indian fighter and for his participation in the Battle of Point Pleasant. Thomas was the first surveyor of Augusta County, Va.Great quantities of carbonic acid gas are constantly emitted, which come bubbling up through t he water, giving it somewhat the appearance of boiling." (Note-"Visits to the Virginia Springs During the Summer of 1834, page 613, Southern Literary Messenger, 1835.) He might have been a-little kinder to the buildings had he known what was to come.The same year Peregrine Prolix described his surroundings with a great deal of enthusiasm: "Four hours were taken to reach the Sweet by coach, one of the most ancient and celebrated places in the United States.William Lewis apparently had turned over the Sweet Springs property to his son John before 1805, because in that year John Lewis leased the Sweet Springs property for a period of eight years to Robert and George Turner. In leasing the property, Lewis agreed not to put a tavern on what was known as the Mill Place since it would be detrimental to the Sweet Springs Property under the management of the Turners. Total $34,555.00 (There also was another debt for which the sum is not given.) In the case of all these debts the same security was put up; Sweet Springs and all the rest of Lewis's vast holdings in Monroe and Allegany counties.
Note-Sweet Springs District Court Record Book page 172-175. Also if the debt were not paid within a specified time, all of the lands were to be advertised and sold at public auction.
(Note-She has a note questioning the identity of Dr.
Lewis but Phil says it is the grandson to William Lewis namely John B. He was a doctor.) In place of the crude frame cabins had arisen a brick hotel of proportions such as were not to be seen anywhere else in the mountains, not even at White Sulphur: The whole width of the two-story brick building was 250 feet and it was an astounding forty-eight feet deep.
The Sweet Springs site was chosen for the home spot by 1760, but the Lewises did not move there until 1784 or thereabouts.
William Lewis lived there from then until his death in 1811.
It is quite likely that the Mill Place was part of this farm. A debt of $4,526.25 incurred by both Lewis and Woodville; is not clear, but in all probability it was connected with the mysterious debt of John B. At any rate, Oliver Beirne became a purchaser of the Sweet Springs tract when it was put on sale by Commissioners John Echols and Samuel Price on August 18, 1852. On October 14, 1852, at circuit court a decree was entered; .... These three men constituted the Sweet Springs Company. Caperton sold to Oliver Beirne the land at the headwaters of Dunlap's Creek known as t he Sweet Springs tract and containing several tracts, one of them 184 acres on which the hotel buildings stood and another 219 acres and also 245 acres, both of which joined the first. Christopher Beirne also sold his rights and interest in 480 acres on Dunlap's Creek very near the Sweet Springs tract which had been purchased that same month by the partners from A. Sweet Springs was always crowded in the early days.